Volunteers are the foundation of The Prairie Enthusiasts. They are the reason we call ourselves "Boots on the ground conservation."
Volunteers contribute in a positive and meaningful way to our mission of preserving, protecting, and maintaining remnant prairies and oak savannas. As a volunteer you connect with the prairie through land management and stewardship, public events, administrative tasks, and special projects.
Our chapter needs volunteers in many areas:
- Clear brush and non-native trees on our remnants to open the canopy and allow prairie plants to get more sun.
- Conduct prescribed burns.
- Collect seed for use on remnants we have cleared of non-natives.
- Lead field trips.
- Represent TPE at community events by staffing our table.
- Give presentations and speeches to school children, other organizations, and community groups.
- Help plan the chapter picnic and other events.
- Hold officer roles. Currently we need a secretary.
Some people volunteer weekly, while others support our special events, which occur several times a year. Whether you are looking for some professional experience, like to be outdoors, want to share your knowledge with children, or just want to stay busy, the St. Croix Valley chapter can provide a rewarding volunteer experience.